Marc & Rhonda Tower
RED DIRT CROSSFIT COACHES
As a couple, Rhonda and Marc Tower have called Stillwater home for nearly three decades. Rhonda hails from upstate New York where she was raised and eventually played everything from softball and volleyball to field hockey. Marc was raised in Stillwater as a baseball player and long distance runner before beginning college, leaving college,moving to Wyoming, joining the army to fly helicopters, moving back to Oklahoma, going back to college, re-joining the army? (the author is unclear on this chain of events). They met at a wedding in their very early twenties, got engaged some three weeks later, and the rest is as they say, history.
Even after marriage though, their passion for fitness and performance never really retreated. When their children grew up and the void of coaching teams and earning “sportsmanship awards” grew too great to bear, the husband and wife duo found CrossFit and the community it provides and never looked back. But being mere participants wasn’t enough. Since joining the CrossFit fold Marc has earned his CrossFit Level 1 & 2, CrossFit Endurance, and USA Weightlifting Level 1 Sport Performance Coach certificates (in addition to his USA Track and Field Level 1 title), and Rhonda has earned her CrossFit Level 1 & 2, CrossFit Kids, USA Weightlifting Level 1 Sport Performance Coach certificates.
If you’re looking to find fitness, drop weight, get stronger, lose the gut, or if you just want an expert trainer, you’ll find two passionate coaches with the technical proficiencies and experience-based chops to help you reach your goals.
If, however, for some crazy reason, this isn’t enough to convince you that Red Dirt CrossFit should be your health and fitness home then read on.
Character Building with the Coaches Tower
Because they’re real people like you
1. Rhonda raised three boys. You didn’t raise three boys. You can’t raise three boys. It’s too hard. It should be noted that she saw the eldest two boys through no less than 60 ER administered stitches (the youngest was much smarter and kept his total at zero). She’s not afraid of getting her hands dirty. She can take care of you.
2. Rhonda once snapped her achilles tendon right in half during a workout called “Death by 10 meters” and didn’t cry until the physician told her how long she was going to be unable to use her foot. This is an example of... Well I’m not sure what she learned, but it proves she’s much harder than most people you know.
3. Rhonda has been a preschool teacher for the last 18 years. She knows tough love and the power of a good nap and snack time. While she doesn’t suffer fools or have the patience for tantrums in adults, she is well versed in the art of making you do stuff you might not realize is good for you. You will thank her for this later when you look UH-MAHZ-ING in your bathing suit.
1. As a child Marc nearly burned his backyard down during an exciting gasoline-doused matchbox car exhibition. He paid for his domestic mishap by cutting the affected yard, now hyper fertilized, that summer more days than not. This was an early, ironic lesson in cause and effect where he learned that sometimes you have to break things down to get them to grow better. (Though he didn’t realize it’s applications in Crossfit until much later.)
2. In high school Marc ran track, and he literally threw up very nearly every practice. He won State in the 800 meter as a sophomore because of this commitment. After that he stopped running in pursuit of other activities. This was a lesson in how uncomfortable achieving goals can be. It was also a lesson in common sense because let’s be real. If you’re throwing up every single day to get a little medal you might want to reevaluate your priorities. Seriously that’s gross. Let’s be smart people.
3. Marc discovered CrossFit after reading an article titled “Get Fit or Die” while standing in a bookstore in Amarillo, Texas. Despite outstanding evidence to the contrary, he thought to himself, “That sounds like fun,” because Marc understands the value in keeping things fresh and trying new things. He knows that if you’re not getting the results you want it’s because you’re probably not having fun in your fitness plan. Lucky for you, he can get you there.
Jill is a CrossFit Level 1 certified trainer. She was introduced to CrossFit in 2010 by Coach Rhonda and quickly fell in love. Having an athletic background, competition is second nature for Jill. The competitive aspect of CrossFit is not the only part that Jill loves, she enjoys the friendship, community and helping others accomplish goals they never believed they could. For 12 years she was a veterinary internal medicine specialist teaching veterinary students. The medical knowledge and love of teaching carries over to CrossFit. Her medical background has led to a strong interest in mobility. Building a foundation in mobility and correct form can greatly reduce injuries during workouts and everyday life. Jill and Stuart are parents to two fabulous and active kids, Brayden and Jenna.
Stuart Brunker is a a CrossFit Level 1 certified trainer. In 2009 Coach Marc introduced him to CrossFit. As a busy IT architect by day, CrossFit has been a great asset for Stuart. He has been an avid participant in our O' dark-thirty class. He enjoys runs (if they're measured in meters, not miles!), pull-ups, sit-ups, push-ups and is improving his olympic lifts with every session. Growing up on a farm in Southwest Oklahoma, Stuart fully appreciates being fit enough to handle whatever life throws his way. As 40 something man, Stuart is passionate about reaching people with CrossFit where their abilities allow with an attitude of continuous improvement as they reach toward their goals.
Ryan Perzee is a a CrossFit Level 1 certified trainer. Ryan is an excellent trainer with experience in training people in many different environments and countries. Ryan is the strong, quiet type and has been reluctant to provide his bio - perhaps his military background encourages him to keep secrets. He says he is from corn country, but came to us from Colorado...all very suspicious.
Tara is a CrossFit Level 1 certified trainer, student, competitive athlete and Texan.
Ivan is a CrossFit Level certified trainer, student, competition athlete and can drive big trucks.
Matt is a CrossFit Level 1 certified trainer, student at OSU and CrossFit competitor. More info to come.
SSgt. Dalton is a CrossFit Level 1 certified trainer and a part of the the area Marine Corps officer recruiting team. If you think you can qualify and are up to the task, come see him.
Thomas is a CrossFit Level 1 certified trainer, student, soccer player, soccer coach, and barista. He may be the quietest coach you'll ever have and he has heck of a power/weight ratio.
John helps us with olympic lifting and does personal olympic lifting training. You want technique work? This is your guy. Certified through the National Athletic Trainer's Association, National Academy of Sports Medicine, and USA Weightlifting, John was introduced to Olympic Weightlifting in 2010. John competes and helps coach for Coastal Empire Weightlifting ever since then. He has coached and competed at numerous local and national events and had the opportunity to train with some of the USA's best.
Christion is a CrossFit Level 1 certified trainer and student at OSU. Christian has trained and coach in Tulsa before coming to Stillwater.